What is the biggest fandom on Tumblr?
Without question. I mean, of course there’s the Harry Potter fandom and the LOTR fandom and they’ve always been big and around and it kind of goes without saying. but in terms of a fandom that people actively blog about instead of something that’s like a given, I’d say Superwholock. Because I don’t think it’s possible to separate those. I think we’re just a mass of miserable crying fangirls over all three of those shows.
Also, you guys, I’m aware that many of the posts are just bare-bones summaries. I”m working on these when I can. These posts are just to get started, okay?
"Kevin Tran is in Advanced Placement. I’m not sure why it’s a joke but it is." Dying because it's so true.
Yes, yes it is. I even put it in a review of an episode I wrote for an internet magazine once. Kevin Tran, Advanced Placement. And the editors let me do it!
An Introduction to Fandom: The Avengers
Clint/Natasha: Clintasha, Black Eye, Black Hawk
Captain America/Iron Man/The Hulk: Stark-Spangled Banner
Captain America/Iron Man: Super Husbands, Stony
Things You Should Know
- Iron Man and Bruce Banner are science bros. they science together.
- Tom Hiddleston doesn’t play Loki. He IS Loki. He has lots of Loki feels.
- Go watch Thor. You have to watch Thor. Then you can join us all in having Loki feels.
- If you have feels about Phil Coulson, the appropriate term is “Pheels.”
Things that will make an Avengers fan cry:
- Phil Coulson
- Agent Coulson
Stargate: An Introduction to the Fandom
Stargate: Atlantis, Stargate: SG-1, Stargate Universe and everything in between…
John Sheppard/Rodney McKay: McShep
Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard: Sparky
Rodney McKay/Jennifer Keller: McKeller
Things You Should Know:
- lots of lovely Sparky fics can be found here.
This is the original series, based on the 1994 movie, which created the spin-off Stargate Atlantis.
Things you should know
- Daniel Jackson dies. All the time. He’s the proverbial character that you can never kill.
Jack O’Neill/Daniel Jackson: Whiskey (due to its abbreviation JackDaniel, like the brand of whiskey)
Where to buy Stargate stuff?
It’s struck my attention that it’s actually kinda hard to buy Stargate paraphernalia. Star Trek, Star Wars, Supernatural, they all have a crapload of stuff you can spend your money on. This show? not so much. You have to really search. But here are some good sites to get you started:
Sherlock: An Introduction to the Fandom
Terms used to refer to a Sherlock fan: Sherlockian
Johnlock: John Watson/Sherlock
Mormor: Moriarty/Moran (note: Moran has not actually appeared in the series as of yet; he shows up in the canon in The Empty House (the story that happens after Reichenbach). Nevertheless, shippers ship them, as shippers will).
Holmecest: Sherlock/Mycroft Holmes
Jokes and Things You Should Know:
- Sherlock is an otter. Martin Freeman is a hedgehog.
- the “canon” - the original Sherlock Holmes stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Steven Moffat - co-creator of the series - is a troll.
- If someone shouts “Vatican Cameos!” you have to duck. This comes from the episode “A Scandal in Belgravia,” in which that is Sherlock and John’s code word to duck.
- Believe in Sherlock - a movement started by fans after The Reichenbach Fall aired. We believe in Sherlock, we believe that Moriarty was real, and we believe that Richard Brook was a fake. Check out the link for their blog below.
Words that will make a Sherlockian cry:
- “Alone” in the same sentence as “water”
Blogs you MUST check out as a Sherlockian
Supernatural: An Introduction to the Fandom
Terms used to refer to a Supernatural fan: masochist
This is because Supernatural is a show known for pain. You have been warned. It seems like just fun and games and two brothers throwing wisecracks at each other at first, but then there is pain piled on more pain, and when you think it can’t get any worse, it does. Trust me, even among TV shows, this is the worst in terms of giving you feels.
Also, the Supernatural fandom is, in my experience, the one with the most drama. That’s not to say it isn’t welcoming, or that there aren’t great or intelligent people in the fandom. However, it does tend to be the fandom in which there will be a war happening every other week. There’s been drama between Wincest shippers and Destiel shippers, tensions between Castiel fans and fans who feel Castiel shouldn’t be such a prominent character, arguments over comments made by actors, and small wars over Misha Collins. But don’t let this scare you away - this fandom also has amazing discussions, art, fics, and lots of people who are willing to be your fandom “family.”
Wincest: Sam/Dean Winchester
Destiel: Dean Winchester/Castiel (this seems to be by far the most popular ship in the fandom)
Sassy: Sam Winchester/Castiel
Sabriel: Sam Winchester/Gabriel
Wincestiel: Sam/Dean Winchester/Castiel
Megstiel: Meg (demon)/Castiel
Jokes and Things You Should Know:
- Jared Padalecki/Sam Winchester is a moose
- Misha Collins is your overlord. His fans are minions.
- It is obligatory to ship Dean with pie.
- The Impala is Dean’s “baby.”
- Kevin Tran is in Advanced Placement. I’m not sure why it’s a joke but it is.
- Jensen Ackles has bowlegs. We like to make fun of them.
- Death likes pizza.
Words that will make a Supernatural fan cry:
- Carry On My Wayward Son
- Ellen and Jo
- Jimmy Novak
- ..and the list continues. insert any character’s name here.
Blogs you MUST check out
Due to popular (well, okay, singular) request, I”m making each of the fandom introductory pages rebloggable. (I really should’ve done this sooner. Silly me.)
HOW DO I REBLOG THE NEW TO FANDOMS THING. Ugh, hun, make that a post.
you want each of the pages to be rebloggable? I can try to make that happen (I will add it to my to do list and get to it tomorrow, currently dropping of exhaustion right now though!)
I have several new followers, and as this blog is still in its very early stages, I”m very happy to see each and every one of you! Welcome, and please spread the word!